S. Wang Lab
Cell-based therapy for retinal degeneration and optic nerve neuropathy
The primary goal of our lab is to understand and develop treatments for degenerative retinal diseases. Ray Lund, PhD, a pioneer in the field, started using cell-based therapy for retinal degeneration over two decade ago; our current program expands our research to study optic nerve neuropathy and Alzheimer’s disease as well. We have been using stem cell therapy to slow down the progression of retinal degeneration and limit the development of the secondary vascular pathology. Our preclinical studies have led to three clinical trials using stem cells to treat macular degeneration.
The Wang Laboratory is affiliated with the Regenerative Medicine Institute and Department of Biomedical Sciences.
- Development of noninvasive cell-based therapy for retinal degeneration and associated vascular pathology
- Cell-based therapy for traumatic optic neuropathy
- Combined local and global cellular therapies to treat retinal degeneration
- Functional evaluation of vision
Collaborations & Resources
- DAVID - Bioinformatics Database
- Smidt Heart Institute
- Van Eyk Laboratory
- Retina by John Dowling
- The Retinal Pigment Epithelium: Function and Disease by Michael F. Marmor and Thomas J. Wolfensberger
- GraphPad Prism
- S. Mark Taper Foundation Imaging Center
Meet Our Team
Learn more about the scientists, faculty members, investigators and other healthcare professionals of the S. Wang Laboratory, whose dedicated efforts lead to groundbreaking discoveries.
Tsai Y, Lu B, Bakondi B, Girman S, Sahabian A, Sareen D, Svendsen CN, Wang S.
Stem Cells. 2015;33(8):2537-2549.
Lu B, Lin Y, Tsai Y, Girman S, Adamus G, Jones MK, Shelley B, Svendsen CN, Wang S.
Transl Vis Sci Technol. 2015;4(1):7.
Tsai Y, Lu B, Ljubimov AV, Girman S, Ross-Cisneros FN, Sadun AA, Svendsen CN, Cohen RM, Wang S.
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55(1):523-534.
Contact the S. Wang Lab
8700 Beverly Blvd.
Advanced Health Sciences Pavilion, Eighth Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90048