Compensation Benefits and Policy Information
The compensation policy for Cedars-Sinai graduate medical education students is comprehensive, covering an annual stipend, housing allowance, reimbursements, insurance, retirement savings, healthcare, training, education and many other generous benefits. Read details about each of these benefits and access our Resident and Fellow Physician-In-Training Agreements.
Contract and Appointment Policy Information
Effective Dec. 19, 2021, physicians-in-training will receive annual stipends as follows:
H-1B Visa holder stipends* (Taken from Table 4 of 2021 AAMC Survey of Resident/Fellow Stipends and Benefits Report—West Region)
- 1st Post-MD Year—$61,139
- 2nd Post-MD Year—$63,964
- 3rd Post-MD Year—$67,215
- 4th Post-MD Year—$70,914
- 5th Post-MD Year—$74,514
- 6th Post-MD Year—$78,529
- 7th Post-MD Year—$82,781
*H1-B Visa holders will receive the higher of the two rates
Housestaff employed by Cedars-Sinai Medical Center will receive a total of $10,000 each year to help offset housing costs. This amount will be paid as a monthly stipend of $833.33 (taxable income), to be included in the first pay period of each month, while in a GME training program.
Postgraduate Training License: Effective Jan. 1, 2022, all trainees who have not received credit for 12 months (U.S. or Canadian medical school graduates) or 24 months (international medical school graduates) of ACGME/RCPSC-accredited training must obtain a postgraduate training license (PTL) within 180 days from the start date of training. These fees will be reimbursed.
Unlimited California License: Effective Jan. 1, 2022, all trainees who have completed 12 months (U.S. or Canadian medical school graduates) or 24 months (international medical school graduates) of accredited training must obtain an unlimited California Physician and Surgeon License within 90 days of completing 12 months (U.S. or Canadian medical school graduates) or 24 months (international medical school graduates) of board-approved postgraduate training. These fees will be reimbursed. Those who were issued a PTL prior to Jan. 1, 2022, have until their current PTL expiration date to obtain an unlimited license.
New housestaff who fall outside of the parameters listed above are required to have an unlimited California license as a condition of starting training, and license fees are not reimbursable. If your license expires during training, renewal fees are reimbursable.
New house staff who are required to obtain a DEA certificate as a condition of starting training are responsible for the fees associated with obtaining the certificate. If house staff are required by their program to obtain a DEA certificate during training, or if current required certification expires during training, the fees will be reimbursed.
House staff enrolled in Cedars-Sinai programs who must take USMLE Step 3 during their training at Cedars-Sinai will be reimbursed for the application fee paid to the Federation of State Medical Boards.
- Vacation/holiday time: 28 days (224 hours) of vacation/holiday time off each academic year to cover vacations, holidays and incidental sick leave (if all sick leave hours have been used—see below)
- Requests for time off need to be coordinated with your program to assure appropriate patient care and educational experiences are included in your training
- 40 hours/five days of paid sick leave (beyond the 28 days of vacation/holiday) for you or to care for a family member each academic year
Parking, uniform laundry service and lab coats are provided free of charge. Private sleeping/nap rooms and meal cards to subsidize meals are provided to Cedars-Sinai house staff with funding for meal cards based on frequency of overnight call in the hospital. Food service is available on campus at all times.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Pharmacy Benefits: Group health, dental, vision and pharmacy benefits are provided for housestaff and eligible dependents. There are premium and copay costs for some options. Health insurance is effective the day the program is entered; dental insurance is effective six months from the date of entry.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: Housestaff can establish Healthcare and Dependent Care accounts that allow for spending untaxed income on eligible healthcare and dependent care expenses.
- Life: A $50,000 life insurance policy is provided by Cedars-Sinai. Supplemental life and accidental death insurance may be purchased.
- Professional Liability: Cedars-Sinai provides professional liability insurance coverage in such form and amounts as generally provided by the medical center with respect to events occurring during a Physician-in-Training's participation in the training, including during rotations to other institutions. Coverage is not provided for "moonlighting".
- Disability: The Medical Center provides long-term disability insurance. A contribution toward State Disability Insurance is also provided.
- Workers' Compensation: The Medical Center provides Workers' Compensation Insurance, which pays medical and loss of income benefits for work-incurred illness or injuries.
- Training in Basic Life Support and Advanced Life Support is provided by the Simulation Center.
- The Continuing Medical Education program offers many classes, which you may attend without cost.
- The Medical Library provides Medline and internet training free of charge.
- Individual programs may provide funding for professional presentations at state and national meetings, and for senior board review registration.
Our programs are led by some of the nation's best physician-educators. We are at the forefront of medicine and innovation, translating groundbreaking discoveries into successful treatments with global impact.
Women's Guild Simulation Center
Learn about some of the most advanced clinical skills training and technology in healthcare.
Have Questions or Need Help?
Contact us to learn more about Cedars-Sinai's education programs.